Our Children’s HeartsI learned early on just how susceptible our children’s hearts are to the outside world. My oldest son had a hard time for many years trying to sleep alone. I am embarrassed to admit that he was 12 years old before he stopped bribing his little brother to sleep with him. He talked down to his brother all day long but when the sun went down, the younger one became his best friend. I didn’t realize that he couldn’t handle alot of what many other children his age could as far as movies and books were concerned. It was too late to take back what I had allowed in. I was careful to make sure he was protected from physical harm but felt I had missed the boat on keeping his heart protected. Proverbs says to guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. I made sure from that point on to watch everything my kids watched. It is unbelievable what is allowed to be shown even in the early hours of any given day. Don’t let your kids see anything that you wouldn’t allow right in your own family room. It seems to be the media’s goal to desensitize our children at an early age to violence and sex. What goes into their little minds very often comes out of their mouths. It is worth the sacrifice of our time to monitor what our kids are reading and watching.
No comments:
Post a Comment